Tropical Storm Michael nears hurricane strength, state of emergency declared in Florida

first_img“The Panhandle and Big Bend could see winds in excess of 100 mph,” Scott said at a briefing Sunday evening. “Remember, this storm could grow stronger and be a Category 3 hitting our state. This storm will be life-threatening and extremely dangerous.”The tropical storm has maximum sustained winds of 70 mph as of 7 a.m. on Monday. It is located 120 miles east of Cozumel, Mexico, and 70 miles west of Cuba.A hurricane watch has been issued for north Florida and a tropical storm watch has been issued for parts of the western coast of Florida, including Tampa.A tropical storm watch has also been issued for the Alabama coast, including Mobile.Landfall will come sometime Wednesday afternoon as a possible strong Category 2, bordering Category 3, hurricane somewhere near Panama City.The storm will move further inland later in the week and bring its effects to Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina and Virginia. The Carolinas and Virginia were blasted by Hurricane Florence last month, which dumped more than 2 feet of rain in some locations and caused record flooding.Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved. iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) — Tropical Storm Michael has strengthened overnight and is nearing hurricane-force winds on Monday morning as it sets its sights on the Florida Panhandle.Florida Gov. Rick Scott already declared a state of emergency in 26 counties in the northern part of the state on Sunday. The Federal Emergency Management Agency mobilized resources from the federal government to assist in preparation early Monday.Officials believe the storm could strengthen into a Category 2 hurricane by the time it makes landfall midweek.last_img read more

Govt disburses $202 million for 5 million poor families via village funds program

first_img“Some regions have yet to disburse the funds because of difficulties in reaching households, such as in Papua and East Kalimantan, as well as because of changes in village administrations,” he said. “These are the main factors that have made the disbursement relatively slow.”The government expects 1.89 million to 4.89 million individuals to fall below the poverty line amid the COVID-19 outbreak. Meanwhile, 3 million to 5.23 million individuals may lose their jobs as the pandemic brings economic activity to a standstill, according to official estimates.In a fourth stimulus package announced on May 19, the government will roll out a Rp 641.17 trillion economic recovery stimulus to strengthen social safety net programs, help micro, small and medium businesses (MSMEs) and bail out state-owned enterprises (SOEs).“We hope it will soften the economic impacts of the crisis but it will not be sufficient to substitute for all losses in spending,” Finance Minister Sri Mulyani Indrawati said recently.The government plans to increase its spending on village fund cash assistance to Rp 31.8 trillion, after previously allocating Rp 21.2 trillion. It will provide Rp 600,000 per month for three months to families that meet certain criteria, such as having a family member who has lost their job and having not received assistance via the Family Hope Program (PKH) or the staple-food card program. An additional Rp 300,000 may be provided to families for another three months.“We are still considering whether to boost the village funds,” Abdul said. “The regulation has been prepared but we are still waiting for the green light from the President.”Abdul added that the cash assistance would be received by 8 million families in total, far lower than the previous estimate of 12 million families.Topics : The government has disbursed around Rp 2.99 trillion (US$202 million) in cash assistance to almost 5 million families through the village funds program as it mulls increasing the village fund budget to protect households at greatest risk of falling into poverty amid the COVID-19 outbreak.Villages, Disadvantaged Regions and Transmigration Minister Abdul Halim Iskandar said on Wednesday that more than 47,000 villages had disbursed Rp 600,000 to each registered family through both cashless and cash transfers. In total, some 63,000 villages of the nearly 75,000 villages in Indonesia have received village funds from the government, he added.“We will continue to disburse cash transfers despite Idul Fitri [holiday break],” Abdul told reporters during a media briefing. Several challenges had prevented more rapid disbursement, including a lack of infrastructure and changes in village administrations, he said.last_img read more

Takeaways: Martin Jones is the Sharks’ biggest concern right now

first_imgCHICAGO — Almost everyone got to eat their cookies Sunday night as the Sharks extended their winning streak to a season long four games.Seven Sharks scored goals, 13 found their way onto the scoresheet and six recorded multi-point nights as the team turned the tables on an early disaster to produce its most offensively-prolific night since Oct. 9. In addition, Brent Burns collected three assists and Erik Karlsson extended his point streak to five games, his longest with the Sharks.Here’s what …last_img

Petron rolls to 10th straight victory, rips PLDT

first_imgView comments Google Philippines names new country director Trump tells impeachment jokes at annual turkey pardon event Read Next PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss MOST READ Wintry storm delivers US travel woes before Thanksgiving LATEST STORIES Bloomberg: US would benefit from more, not fewer, immigrants Colombia protesters vow new strike after talks hit snag Defending champion Petron continued flattening the field in the Philippine Superliga Grand Prix, this time crushing PLDT Home Fibr, 25-18, 25-21, 25-14, on Tuesday at Filoil Flying V Centre.Imports Stephanie Niemer and Katherine Bell combined for 40 points as the Blaze Spikers stretched their unbeaten run to 10 games.ADVERTISEMENT Niemer fired 16 kills and delivered five of the team’s nine service aces for 21 points while Bell poured 19 points off 17 spikes and a pair of blocks.All-Filipino Conference Most Valuable Player Rhea Dimaculangan made sure the two had several good looks at the ball, tossing 31 excellent sets.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logisticsThe Petron defense also held up well as Kendra Dahlke was the lone double-digit scorer for the Power Hitters with 16 points. Grace Lazard, who played a key role as PLDT upset F2 Logistics, had just eight points for her squad, which slid to 6-5.United Volleyball Club banked on Filipino-American star Kalei Mau and import Yaasmeen Bedart-Ghani to dominate skidding Cignal, 14-25, 25-21, 25-21, 26-24, in the other match. SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting Chess victory is ticket out of shelter for 8-year-old boy Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Miguel Romero Polo: Bamboo technology like no otherlast_img read more

Team Lakay arrives in Tokyo as ONE: A New Era fight week kicks off

first_imgGoogle Philippines names new country director Wintry storm delivers US travel woes before Thanksgiving Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting UAAP volleyball: After another loss to UP, La Salle vents ire on NU Bloomberg: US would benefit from more, not fewer, immigrants Panelo: Duterte ‘angry’ with SEA Games hosting hassles Members of the famed Team Lakay are in town as they are set to stamp their class once again under the bright lights in ONE: A New Era on Sunday at the historic Ryogoku Kokugikan, where sumo wrestling tournaments are mainly held.Kevin Belingon, the reigning bantamweight world champion, and rising flyweight Danny Kingad at Haneda Airport International Terminal around 2 p.m. (Manila time) while Folayang and the others, were on board a different flight.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logisticsFolayang will be fighting in the main event as he is set to defend his lightweight crown in a title rematch against Japanese legend Shinya Aoki.Belingon, meanwhile, puts his bantamweight world title on the line against Brazilian star Bibiano Fernandes as the two rivals complete their trilogy. And while both Folayang and Belingon are up for tough title defenses, Kingad is still searching for his own gold strap and his quest continues against hometown bet Senzo Ikeda in a Flyweight World Grand Prix quarterfinal.A New Era is the first ONE Championship event in Japan and it features a total of four world title bouts. The card also marks the much-anticipated debuts of superstars Demetrious Johnson and Eddie Alvarez.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss Trump tells impeachment jokes at annual turkey pardon event Team Lakay leads ONE: New Era fight week. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netTOKYO, Japan—Fight week is in the air.The Philippines’ premiere mixed martial artists have arrived here in this chilly busy capital ahead of ONE Championship’s grandest event yet.ADVERTISEMENT Colombia protesters vow new strike after talks hit snag Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess MOST READ View comments LATEST STORIESlast_img read more

Cortez Simmons in court tomorrow for 2013 murder

first_img Worst fears as a tourist is murdered in Providenciales; ten homicides for 2019 Related Items:cortez simmons, court, Keziah Burke, margaret ramsey-hale, murder, rodney adams Freeport Man Killed in ‘The Ghetto’, Homicide Count Now At 100 Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 16 Feb 2015 – Court tomorrow for murder accused Cortez Simmons according to the court docket. The now 31 year old Simmons has been imprisoned since May 2013 for allegedly being a part of the shooting death of Keziah Burke in April that same year. Simmons had been beaten up initially when remanded; now he stands trial for the incident which has spawned other landmark cases and rulings in the country; including the trial of now exonerated Deputy Commissioner of Police Rodney Adams. Cortez Simmons is expected to appear before Chief Justice Margaret Ramsey-Hale in Provo at 9am, Tuesday. Recommended for you Bahamas Police takes 10 to court for murders and other crimes, including a couple for cruelty to a child Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApplast_img read more

West Ham complete the signing of Mesaque Dju

first_imgWest Ham United have reportedly completed the signing of Mesaque Dju on a free transfer from Benfica.The 19-year-old joins the Hammers on a free transfer from Portuguese outfit Benfica after agreeing terms on a three-and-a-half-year contract.Dju is regarded as a player for the future by West Ham and will initially link-up with the team’s Under-23 squad.He said, according to talkSPORT: “I know a lot about West Ham because it is a very big club in England and helps young players get to the first team.”Explaining the impact Joao Felix is causing in world football Tomás Pavel Ibarra Meda – September 13, 2019 There is a certain urgency that is getting noticed about Joao Felix’s development as a young star in the world of football right now.At…“I want this and I’m working for this. I want to help the team and I want to score a lot of goals for this team.”Meanwhile, West Ham striker Marko Arnautovic has committed his immediate future to the club after being linked with a move away.The Austria international was the subject of interest from teams in China, but has opted to stay with the Hammers until at least the end of the season.last_img read more