OTTAWA — The Canadian Union of Postal Workers says it has given strike notice to Canada Post that workers could walk off the job as early as next week.The union representing 50,000 Canada Post employees says rotating strikes will begin Monday if agreements aren’t reached with the Urban Postal Operations and Rural and Suburban Mail Carriers bargaining units.It says it’s pushing for improved job security, an end to forced overtime, and better health and safety measures.“Our members gave us a clear mandate to take job action if Canada Post refused to address our major issues – health and safety, gender equality and preserving full-time, middle class jobs,” says Mike Palecek, the union’s national president, in a Tuesday press release. “Our goal is still negotiated settlements with no postal disruption. This week is Canada Post’s chance to make that happen.”The release adds that working conditions for mail carriers “have deteriorated over the last decade in part because Canada Post has failed to properly address the massive increase in parcel volumes and the burden it has placed on members.”The scale of the job action will depend in part on how talks go in the coming days, but Palecek said they would look to avoid inconveniencing the public.“Our aim is not to disrupt the public, it’s not to disrupt the service that we provide, that we’ve been defending for years, so we’re trying to come up with ways to put some pressure on Canada Post without impacting the public.”Decision for the strike comes after talks stalledThe union decided to issue the strike notices after the nearly year-long talks stalled with the two sides fairly far apart, said Palecek.“We’ve said we would remain at the table as long as progress is being made, and we’ve reached a point where we’re not seeing a lot of progress.”He said the union, which provided five days notice rather than the 72 hours required, hopes the threat of job action will help the Crown corporation take the issues seriously.The union has been pushing for 3.5 per cent annual wage increases but has been met with offers of increases below inflation, while health and safety concerns have also yet to be addressed, said Palecek.Canada Post spokesman Jon Hamilton said in a statement that the service has found common ground with the union on several issues including workload concerns and has made meaningful offers.“Canada Post has made significant offers to CUPW which include increased wages, job security, and improved benefits and has not asked for any concessions in return.”Canada Post hopes to keep services without disruptionThe postal service will still be operational in the event of a strike, said Hamilton.“Canada Post will remain open for business, continuing to operate if the union decides to conduct rotating strikes across the country next week. We will notify customers of any disruptions planned by the union as soon as we are aware, however customers may experience some minor delays.”Locations of the rotating strikes have yet to be determined.The possibility of a work stoppage has hovered over Canada Post since Sept. 26 after postal workers voted overwhelmingly in late summer in support of a potential walkout to back their contract demands.Canada Post is the biggest parcel shipping company in the country, having delivered about one million parcels per day during the holiday season last year, an increase of 20 per cent over the same period in 2016.
TORONTO — American presidential hopeful Bernie Sanders said on Thursday that he would soon be coming to Canada with a group of diabetics to buy cheaper insulin.The Vermont senator said in a tweet that he planned to make the trip toward the end of this month.Typically, a vial of insulin Type 1 diabetics need to regulate their blood sugar costs about US$340 in the United States, roughly 10 times the price in Canada.“We can’t wait for drug companies to lower prices,” Sanders tweeted on Thursday. “Americans need relief now!”Sanders, who has long targeted pharmaceutical companies for the cost of prescription drugs, made a similar medication trip to Canada in 1999. He has accused the industry of being antithetical to the interests of the American public.“In 1999, I took working-class women, struggling with breast cancer, to Canada to buy the same medication for 1/10th of the price they were paying in the U.S.,” Sanders tweeted.The Democratic presidential candidate’s campaign did not immediately respond to a request to discuss the trip.According to CNN, Sanders and the diabetics will make the trip as part of his efforts to highlight the hardships some Americans face when it comes to drug purchases. The plan is to head to Windsor, Ont., from Detroit.Late last month, a group of Type 1 diabetics from Minnesota crossed the border to buy insulin in London, Ont. One of the organizers, Quinn Nystrom, who was making her second such expedition, said insulin prices south of the border have skyrocketed in two decades.“One in four Americans are rationing their insulin because they cannot afford it, so people are dying,” Nystrom, 33, said in a recent interview.Current rules allow Americans to take home a maximum three-month personal supply of medicines bought in Canada, and four states — Florida among them — have passed legislation allowing for wholesale or individual imports of medications. Because insulin is non-prescription in Canada, there is no tracking mechanism of how much might be heading south.Although still relatively small-scale, the drug tourism has sparked concerns in Canada.Barry Power, a senior director with the Canadian Pharmacists Association, has warned of potential disruption if large numbers of Americans flood the Canadian market and called on the Canadian government to look at the issue. A spokeswoman for the federal health minister said the government was monitoring the situation. Canada, in line with other industrialized countries, regulates drug prices through the quasi-judicial patented medicine prices review board whose mandate is to prevent gouging. Market forces operate in the U.S.In an interview with CNN on Thursday, Sanders attributed the rising cost of drugs in the United States and the disparity with prices in Canada to the difference between the health-care systems in the two countries.“Canada has a nationalized, single-payer system that allows them to negotiate much better prices with the drug companies,” Sanders said. “In our country it is a much different story.”Colin Perkel, The Canadian Press
Worst fears as a tourist is murdered in Providenciales; ten homicides for 2019 Related Items:cortez simmons, court, Keziah Burke, margaret ramsey-hale, murder, rodney adams Freeport Man Killed in ‘The Ghetto’, Homicide Count Now At 100 Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 16 Feb 2015 – Court tomorrow for murder accused Cortez Simmons according to the court docket. The now 31 year old Simmons has been imprisoned since May 2013 for allegedly being a part of the shooting death of Keziah Burke in April that same year. Simmons had been beaten up initially when remanded; now he stands trial for the incident which has spawned other landmark cases and rulings in the country; including the trial of now exonerated Deputy Commissioner of Police Rodney Adams. Cortez Simmons is expected to appear before Chief Justice Margaret Ramsey-Hale in Provo at 9am, Tuesday. Recommended for you Bahamas Police takes 10 to court for murders and other crimes, including a couple for cruelty to a child Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 21 Oct 2015 – TCI The Department of Education is fighting to fill teacher vacancies within the public school system due to a global demand for these professionals. During House of Assembly, the Minister addressed concerns about teacher shortages and gave an update on teachers who are now in country and will take up their posts and others who are soon to come and will fill some voids. Hon Akierra Missick said it is not easy getting teachers despite the recent improvements in educators’ salaries in the public sector. “This is a trend that other Caribbean countries are also seeing because there are sometimes better offers that are not just in terms of salary, but some countries are offering residency, citizenship, free access to education for those children that may travel with their parents – so finding teachers in the global world is a challenge.”Turks and Caicos, like others in the region is losing teachers to countries who are able to make juicier job offers. The Education Department has been working on not only improving the caliber of expatriate teachers, but on the indigenous ones with scholarships for teaching degrees and upgrades for Bachelors’ degrees or help with specialty studies. “We have as a Ministry moved forward with the training and educating through our scholarship policy to increase our local complement of teachers so that we can have a local complement that is committed to the Turks and Caicos Islands.” As recently as last week, there was a resignation by an expat teacher in the public school system which now sends the Ministry on the hunt for a replacement. According to Minister Missick, this is becoming all too common. Ministry of Education introduces pilot program Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items:akierra missick, shortage, teacher Recommended for you Education Minister touts new ICT platform for Public Schools Education Minister tours schools this week
Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter Theresa Kyte San Diego law enforcement, employers and other stakeholders are holding an event to discuss causes of workers’ compensation fraud and its impacts on employers and injured workers. The event will also provide information on recently-enacted laws to help prosecute fraudsters.California has the highest workers’ compensation costs in the nation.The Chief Deputy District Attorney will discuss a 50% drop in claimant fraud in the county and his call for employers and attorneys to work with law enforcement to report fraudulent acts.The Chief Deputy District Attorney will also provide an update on Operation Backlash. The program was launched to crack down on the largest workers’ comp provider fraud kickback scheme ever uncovered in San Diego County.To date, charges have been filed against 55 defendants, 32 of which has been convicted.The event is set for Friday, June 15 at The Butcher Shop Steakhouse. San Diego County to combat workers’ compensation fraud June 14, 2018 Updated: 11:19 AM Theresa Kyte, Posted: June 14, 2018
Posted: January 7, 2019 January 7, 2019 SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – SeaWorld San Diego has unveiled their new roller coaster coming 2020 Mako.SeaWorld said this new roller coaster will be the tallest, fastest and longest dive coaster in California, as well as the only floorless dive coaster in the state.The park describes the ride will climb to 153 feet, passengers feet will dangle in the air, riders will be suspended on a 45-degree angle at the crown of the ride before plunging down a 143-foot facedown vertical drop accelerating to more than 60 miles per hour.Riders will also experience inversions, barrel roll, Immelmann loop, hammerhead turn and flat spin as they race along the nearly 2,500 feet of track, according to SeaWorld.Each of the floorless ride cars are said to hold 18 riders in three, six-person rows.SeaWorld said the dive coaster will be located adjacent to Journey to Atlantis in the southeast corner of the park in an area that is currently a parking lot. FacebookTwitter KUSI Newsroom SeaWorld announces new roller coaster for 2020 Categories: Entertainment, Local San Diego News KUSI Newsroom,